Regardless if employees are injured on the job due to their own careless behavior, those accidents are still covered by their employer’s workers’ compensation insurance. To reduce and/or avoid injury claims, it is crucial to continually promote safety awareness and safe work habits. To enhance workplace safety and improve employees’ quality of life, as well as the company’s bottom line, employers can consider some the these ideas:
- Provide each employee with a workplace safety manual with detailed rules and safe work practices they are expected to follow.
- Inspect the workplace on a regular basis to identify and correct hazards and monitor use of safety equipment and adherence to safety rules. Reward employees for compliance.
- Communicate with employees to assure they understand the importance of safety guidelines and solicit their feedback with regard to safety issues and corrections.
- Develop an effective safety program and consistently enforce safety rules.
- Post safety reminders in common areas and hold workshops or safety seminars to cover specifics.
- Provide employees with ergonomic products and protective equipment, and monitor their use.
- Maintain detailed records of injuries and accidents.
- Create return-to-work programs to return injured employees to work as soon as possible, even if on a limited basis.
- Pay extra close attention to activities with high-injury rates.